Wednesday, February 16, 2011

While talking with my hairdresser....

While I was having a much-needed haircut this afternoon, my hairdresser brought up a good point to me... who are we planning for? and why?

Cryptic I know, but this is where it all started, with some observations...

There was a time, when older generations tried their best to leave behind money, assets, land etc... for future generations to enjoy. Essentially the idea of a family dynasty was an attractive goal. Whereby slowly over time, the family (as a whole) would grow and expand, not only with respect to more people (through marriage etc...) but also through the accumulation of wealth.

When I think about the people growing up today... their thoughts are decidedly not on the future of their children or families... they tend to have a more "screw it, I'm going to enjoy myself, who cares if I leave behind debt when I'm dead...I'll be dead" and they overspend, and don't try to save a dime.

Personally, I come from a more rural area, and I feel that this gave me the drive to aim for the family dynasty style of life.  My father's pet project/retirement project is a vineyard.  It takes at least 10 years for the vines in a vineyard to produce enough fruit to be profitable.  This project is not just meant for him, but for both my brother and I as well.  Once he has reached the point where he can not longer tend it, it will be passed on to us, his sons, to take up the reins.  This is something that I thoroughly look forward to!  and something that in the coming years I will take a much more active role in.

Now that I have kept you interested with a little anecdote ... I will bring you back to my point. There seems to be a phenomena when people get a pay-cheque these days... they get paid on Thursday... and most of it is spent my Monday.  And I don't mean it was spent on bills... but frittered on many small and non-essential items that creep up on people.  then, the person goes 10-12 days without any money, so that when they get paid next... they are so excited to spend money that now... it's gone by Saturday instead of surviving until Monday.

I think this ... small spending addiction is contributing to the fall from grace of the future planners... the dynasty builders (the Kennedys etc...) who look out for each other, plan for their children.  But above all else, impart to their children the knowledge and the drive to realise that they need to work for their income, and be always grateful for what their parents left for them.

Next time you enjoy a meal that your parents or other providers have prepared for you.... make sure you thank them... and think about what you would want your children to say to you in the same situation, Then I think we will all understand that a penny saved is really, a penny earned

No comments:

Post a Comment