Monday, February 7, 2011

This is what I do when my hands are occupied

I'm a big believer in open education. That is, a system whereby everyone has the right to and open, unbiased, balanced, and reasonably priced education (if not a free one). It benefits society as a whole to have more highly educated and well-rounded individuals.  Higher education provides a person with the opportunity to learn to think critically of what is placed before them, whether this be in the form of an advertisement or when faced with a moral dilemma.

Let us not, however, forget about trade work. Tradesmen are no less important to society than the most highly achieved academic. In some cases one could argue that the tradesmen directly contributes more to society than the academic. This is not the point of this post, however.  The point of this post is to lead you to a new website that I have found.  It is an example of where I would like to see information and literature move toward. Like Wikipedia, it enables people to access all sorts of books (audio books to be precise) for free.  It is based on volunteer work from all around the world.

Now, some of you might not like audiobooks; I, for one, didn't. But I have learned their value when I am doing something that is monotonous where I cant read a book like normal. For example, when driving, and when running on the treadmill. Time when I would normally be listening to music, is now spent listening to classic literature and non-fiction books.  I would like to think that this, once wasted, time is now used for something that is enhancing my overall worldly knowledge. So here it is, now enjoy!...

http://librivox.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment