Sunday, December 2, 2012

Tristan Launches a Space Probe

Well it's been an interesting week to say the least. My current obsession is space travel. A word to those who may interact with me, space travel and colonization is always a good conversation piece! It came to my attention, through various Google searches, that I could send a probe into space with relatively few dollars and almost no skill. That sounds fairly far-fetched, and to be honest it kind-of is. It is possible for the average Joe to send a weather balloon up to about 20 miles. This puts the balloon square into the stratosphere... hardly into space. But it does return some fairly awesome footage, and definitely some bragging rights. The following link is to a YouTube video from a family who did this, and has provided information on how to do it. Because of this, I know that I would like to do something of this nature for a summer project. If anyone would like to join me in this endeavor, I welcome the discourse. 
I can definitely see the potential for some awesomeness here... can you imagine if I were to put a little rocket fuel in there and have it ignite as the balloon reaches it's apex? Perhaps this would be illegal, but I have a theory that it would take relatively little thrust to push the payload beyond Earth's gravitational control once at a high altitude (and provided the payload is quite light). Maybe I'm wrong, but that's for the comment section below! Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment